Do you want to know a secret? You don't really need a pickle jar! Any glass jar will do just fine, as long as it can hold water and your green onions .
What to do:
1. Place bulbs root side down in the glass jar.
2. Pour water in the glass jar to barely cover bulbs.
3. Set jar in a sunny place and watch them grow! Little green shoots will
start growing out of the bulbs. I saw quite a bit of growth within the first hour!
start growing out of the bulbs. I saw quite a bit of growth within the first hour!
4. Change the water every day. When refilling, you only need the water to cover the bulbs.
I
use green onions in quite a few of my recipes. Spinach dip, corn dip,
bang-bang shrimp, creamy beef rollups, and chicken lo- mein are a few of
my recipes I use them in. I also like to throw some on top of a baked
potato or mix some in with cream cheese for cucumber sandwiches. It's a
pretty versatile food and so easy to grow! They are very low maintenance and they grow fast! If you feel like they are getting too tall, just chop them up and freeze them. Or if you plan on using them soon, stick them in the refrigerator. Also, your wallet will be happy you don't have to buy green onions at the store.
Question: Do you call these scallions or
green onions? I call them green onions most of the time, but sometimes I
call them scallions. I did some research and they are both correct, it
just depends on where you live, I guess?

No comments:
Post a Comment
Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.